THE DOS AND DON’TS OF BABY ECZEMA
Eczema appears in about 10% to15% of babies and toddlers.It shows up as patches of red skin which is extremely itchy, dry,and rough.While it may appear just about anywhere on a child’s body,eczema most often occurs on the cheeks and at the joints of their arms and legs.
If you believe that your child is suffering from eczema,you should check with your doctor to make sure that it is eczema and not any other condition.Your doctor will also be able to tell if there are any underlying allergies.Following that, there are several things you can do (and several things to avoid!)to help ease your child’s discomfort.
- Bathe your child in lukewarm water and don”t allow soaking in the water for too long.
- Address the need of your child’s skin condition by using specialised bath-care products.
- Use only specialised eczema care lotion,balm or ointment for your child after every bath or whenever necessary
- Dress your child in soft fabrics that breathe easily,like cotton, and use soft sheets in the crib and/or bed.
- Keep your child’s nails trimmed to avoid injuries due to scratching and consider soft cotton gloves at night to prevent scratching.
- Wash any new clothing with gentle laundry detergents to get rid of any chemicals that may have been used in the manufacturing process.
- Work with your doctor to assess if a food allergy is the cause of your child’s eczema.This usually means making a systematic effort to eliminate common allergens from your child’s diet,such as cow’s milk or eggs.
As many parents have found out,treating eczema is one thing,and avoiding flare-ups is another thing altogether!once you have gotten your child’s eczema under control, you should steer clear of the factors that can cause it to flare back up again.
- Use hot water in baths
- Use bubble bath
- Use perfumed skincare products
- Use clothes that are too warm and may cause excessive sweating;
- Rub your child’s skin dry after a bath.Instead,pat gently with a towel.
- Use ordinary laundry detergents to wash your child’s clothing or bedding
- Use products that contain Mineral Oil,Formaldehyde,Petrochemicals,SLS,Propylene Glycol,Paraben,and Phosphates that may harm your child’s skin
As a general rule,it helps to remember that an eczema sufferer’s skin is tender and sensitive and it should be treated as gently as possible.While there are many brands of eczema care products available out there,only a handful are actually safe enough to be used to treat eczema in children.
It is essential that parents be savvy about skincare treatments for their children who have eczema.BabyOrganix has been a trusted brand of products made with the highest of standards using safe and natural ingredients.Its Hydrating Cream Bath,Nature’s First Aid Cream, Rub Rub Balm,BuzzSheild Cream and Baby Bottom Soothing Cream have been proven helpful in treating eczema in babies.The special formulation and high quality natural ingredients in every BabyOrganix product ensures that your family and your home gets the best care possible!